A statement about privacy and collection of personal information
UBM Medica Australia Pty Ltd ("We", "Our", or "Us") as publisher of Medical Observer (Website), aims to protect the privacy of the personal information We collect and hold whilst carrying out Our business activities.
We are bound by the National Privacy Principles (Principles) in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)(Act).
This statement explains:
- what types of personal information We might collect
- how We aim to use personal information
- when We will disclose personal information to others
- how We manage and secure personal information, and
- how you can access personal information that We hold about you.
This statement does not form part of any contract.
From time to time, We may review and update this statement - for example, to reflect changes to the law, technology or Our company. We reserve the right to change this statement at any time and notify you by posting an updated version of the statement on the Website.
What types of personal information do We collect?
We aim only to collect 'personal information' (as defined under the Act) that is necessary for Our activities. The types of personal information that We collect will depend on the nature of the interaction between you and Us, and where and how We collect the information.
Most commonly, the information collected from you may include your name, address/es, email address/es, telephone and fax number/s, and other contact details, your medical practitioner registration details (if relevant), and also information about your use of Our services or the Website.
Some of the information We collect is 'sensitive information' (as defined under the Act). The Act requires Us only to collect sensitive information from you where this is consented to by you, or if the collection is required by law, and only to share sensitive information if We have a belief that its use and/or disclosure is necessary to prevent threats to health, life or safety of any individual.
How do We collect your personal information?
We collect most of your personal information directly from you, for example when you send Us correspondence by e-mail, via the Website or in writing; deal with Us over the telephone or in person; or register or post information on the Website.
Sometimes, someone else may provide Us with personal information about you, with or without your direct involvement. For example, We might collect your personal information from:
- another organisation or alliance you are a member of
- your representative
- publicly available sources of information (such as telephone directories), or
- commercially available mailing or marketing lists.
How do We use your personal information?
In most cases, if We ask you to provide information about yourself it is because We need that information for the purpose it was collected or to provide you with the information you require or access to the Website. For example, We may use your personal information to:
- verify that you are an Australian healthcare practitioner (if relevant)
- tailor your experience of Our site to your interests
- provide you with access to certain parts of the Website
- provide ongoing support or help manage the Website, for example if you have a query about this statement
- communicate with you, for example to seek feedback regarding your experiences with the Website, or the information, the services and the promotions offered on the Website
- provide information about other events, promotions, products or services that We believe would interest you (which you can tell Us not to do at any time)
- help us run Our organisation, for example to improve the Website. Our products or services or Our security, train staff or undertake marketing activities, and
- comply with legal obligations.
When will We disclose your personal information to others?
We aim to confine Our disclosure of personal information to the primary purpose for which it has been collected, or for a related purpose. This means We will usually only disclose personal information in order to fulfil our business and admininstrative functions, including when disclosure is necessary to complete a transaction on your behalf; provide you with a product, service or activity you have requested; help Us with the running of Our organisation; or for security reasons.
We may also disclose your personal information outside Our organisation for the purpose for which the information was collected, for a related purpose - for example when disclosure is necessary to complete a transaction on your behalf, provide you with a product, service or activity you have requested, help Us with the running of Our organisation, or for security reasons.
We may provide your personal information to:
- companies related to Us that are located in Australia or offshore
- outsourced service providers who perform functions on Our behalf, such as organisations providing security services, conducting market research, providing advertising/marketing services, or providing hosting, email or mail handling services to Us or Our service providers
- anyone authorised by you to receive your personal information (your consent may be express or implied and can be withdrawn at any time)
- an actual or prospective purchaser in the event We sell part of Our business, and
- anyone We are required by law to disclose it to.
We generally require third parties only to use your personal information for the specific purpose for which it was given and to protect the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information.
You consent to us disclosing your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes. You can withdraw your consent at any time by informing Us that you withdraw that consent.
To the extent that the Website contains links to sites operated by third parties, including other organisations, those linked websites are not controlled by Us and We are not responsible for the privacy practices of the site operators. Before you disclose your personal information to any linked websites, We advise you to examine their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use.
We use third-party advertising companies (such as Google) to serve ads when you visit the Website. These third parties may use information (not including your name, address/es, email address/es and other contact details) about your visits to this Website and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
You may opt out of cookies by:
- visiting the Network Advertising Initiative website (www.networkadvertising.org) and following the instructions; and/or
- set your browser to refuse all cookies (this may mean you will not be able to take full advantage of the Website and/or Our services).
How We manage and secure personal information
We have appointed a Privacy Officer to be responsible for the management of personal information We collect. We have security systems in place to protect your personal information and have directed Our staff that personal information must be dealt with in accordance with this statement.
Updating personal information that We hold about you
We aim to keep all personal information We hold both accurate and up-to-date and encourage you to tell us if you change your contact details.
If you believe that the information We hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact our Privacy Officer.
If We no longer require your personal information, We will generally destroy or de-identify that information.
Password and log-in security
You are responsible for the security of your password and log-in information. You can play an important role in keeping your personal information secure by maintaining the confidentiality of any passwords used on the Website. Please notify Us immediately if there is any unauthorised use of your account by any other Internet user or any other breach of security.
How you can access personal information that We hold about you
You may seek access to personal information that We hold about you by contacting Our Privacy Officer as follows:
UBM Medica Privacy and Security
Locked Bag 3000,
St Leonards, NSW 1590,
By Phone: +61 2 9902 7740
By Fax: +61 2 9902 7778
By Email: email@example.com
If you make a request for access to your personal information, We will ask you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. We may also charge a reasonable fee to cover Our costs of supplying you with access to this information.
In some circumstances, the Act entitles Us to deny access, for example if providing access would impact unreasonably on the privacy of others or prejudice negotiations in which We are involved. If We do refuse access, We are required to let you know the reasons for Our refusal.
© Copyright: UBM Medica Australia, 2000-2009. All rights reserved.
Last Revised: 20 October 2009